Gujarat Global News Network, Ahmedabad
In a major fire incident a woman died and 7 others were injured when fire broke out in an apartment on fifth floor in Gota area of the city. 35 people were rescued by the fire brigade. Blast in AC compressor is said to be the cause of the fire.
The incident took place around 12.30 pm when suddenly fire broke out in the apartment Ganesh Genesis. It soon spread to 5,7,9th floors where more than 40 people were trapped. Few people broke open the terrace doors and others rushed to the terrace.
10 teams fire brigade rushed to the spot but unfortunately snorkel did not work. The firemen then used ropes and climbed atop the building. They rescued several people and 8 who were severely injured were shifted to hospital. One of them Alka Patel who was seriously injured succumbed. Two others are critical.
Strong winds caused fire to spread quickly and it took more than two hours to control it. Chief Fire Officer M F Dastur said that the way to staircase was blocked by wood and plywood which were kept by an apartment owner in whose house furniture was being made. He said that the way to lift was also blocked and there was no liftman.
Firemen brought people stuck up in bedsheets and gave them primary treatment. People were in shock and few were seen crying. Two overweight people were stuck up on 9th floor and they were brought down after fire was blown out, Dastoor said.
Rescue operations were hampered for a while when residents took up fight with firemen. Police present at the spot brought the situation under control but it took a while to pacify irate residents.
For news in Hindi see our Hindi daily Chaupal Chronicle